Calgary Man Can’t Cross the Border

Don’t do this if you want to travel to the United States.

A Calgary man who had been living in New York with his wife and child fleed back to Canada after doing what seems to be a series of remarkably stupid things.

Here’s how it went.

  1. Tang decides to try and break the record for lapping Manhattan in a sports car. This is dumb.
  2. Tang then uploads video to youtube in order to gain something called “street cred” or whatever. This is also dumb.
  3. Tang discovers New York prosecutors want to use him as an example and send him to jail, so Tang flees back to Calgary. It’s debatable how dumb this part is.

Anyway if you are interested in street racing you might not be rolling yours eyes at this one as much as I am but hopefully you know that posting evidence of a crime on the internet is not a good idea if you want to continue living, travelling, etc in the United States of America.

Now it’s important to keep in mind that even if Mr. Tang is not found guilty of this stupid crime the chances are very good that he will still need a Waiver just to cross the border again. Of course I don’t know the full details of Mr. Tang’s immigration status but none of this bodes very well for him.

If you’re interested here’s the youtube evidence. Story below.


Comment (0)
Julie McMullen / December 24, 2015

Hi Michael, I was happy to stumble across your website as I have questions that nobody can seem to give me an adequate answer to. After booking a return flight to visit my parents at Christmas time last year, I was turned away by U.S. customs because of a Criminal conviction from about 10 years ago. I was naive about needing a waiver to enter the U.S. I’ve since had my fingerprints taken through the R.C.M.P. and gathered my records from the police regarding the incident. I have had no police contact prior to or since. I’m very unsure what my next steps should be and how likely I am to be granted firstly a U.S. waiver, and secondly a Pardon. I understand there are 2 separate processes. Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Sincerely, Julie McMullen

Michael Ashby / December 29, 2015

Hi Julie,

You will need a waiver to return. That part is pretty straight forward. I’m in and out of the office now so if you wanted to discuss your case on the phone I suggest contacting Nicole at ext 221. Otherwise I will be back full time after the new year.

As for your chances of getting a waiver i wouldn’t worry unless the record is for something quite severe. We can discuss that further if you like.

If you want to get things going right away I suggest applying online of visiting a walk in centre if possible.

Kind regards,



Leave A Comment

Recent Posts

Contact Us