Public Consultations on the Pardon Fee Increase
The Parole Board is holding public consultations on the proposed pardon fee increase. The fee increase is a transparent attempt to deny as many pardons as possible. The shameful thing about it is that this will affect the lowest income earners only. We are looking at a pardon system that will be accessible only to the rich. This shows poor judgement on the part of our ConservativeÂ government and I want to try and stop it.
Just send an email to the following address indicating that you think the fee incease is a bad idea. Help Keep pardons a fair process.
Here are a few reasons why the fee increase is a bad idea:
- People with a criminal record have a very hard time finding work.
- People working pay taxes. People who don’t work do not. Therefore subsidizing pardons is fiscally responsible.
- People with gainful employment are far, far less likely to re-offend.
- Pardons that are accessible only to people with money is unfair.
- The recent fee increase from $50 to $150 was sufficient. Further increases should only be done after considerable study.
If you want more information click the following link to the Parole Board website:
Thanks for the help everyone!